Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Daniel Paul Garrick

(This poem was in our paper this morning written for a Kiley Adam Drysdale who passed 3 years ago....I changed just a couple words and the name)

I know I didn't say goodbye that night so, so long. The time came swift to leave this world awake, asleep, then gone. At first I didn't want to go, my repentance out of reach. I watched my family left of earth wracked with pain and grief. I panicked at the thought of death, my life was way off track. Then I felt my Savior's hand gently caress my back. I'm way too young. I plead with him, sixteen. What can I give? He reassured me of my worth, my eternal worth, my life with Him to live. I knew at a glance. He forgave me. I knew He paved my way, I knew goodbye was meant for earth, I'd see you all one day. In the distance there Dad came, I ran for his embrace. All is made well through our Savior's grace.On earth you've felt the words unsaid, the questions without phrase. Loose ends, untied, just dangle there, smothering joy and praise. But for me my family, my friends, I'm so complete, I've never felt more worth, contentment fills my every breath, since I accepted eternal birth. I miss your touch, but I feel your heart, it permeates the veil. Our lives go on in different world, our righteousness prevails. No explanation has been said, my death seems so absurd. Your minds run over that day, that night, searching for one word. I hear your whispers, your silent pleas, ....."I didn't say Goodbye."You reach for me to feel my touch, then come up empty and you cry. But. goodbye seems so final, when I am near you every day. I know the plan, it keeps us close, I'm never far away. I wish that I could lift the veil, to show you all I see, to calm your sobs, to heal your hearts, to feel you close to me. There are no loose ends, no questions left, this boy is now a man. And faith cements our eternal bond, it guarantees our plan. You know that time, that time I left, my night turned into to day, I was filled with light, with hope, with trust, it had ben a long time since I had felt that way. So now, I whisper in your ear, I'm your boy, your angel, your man, and when your thoughts are dark and gray, just know, goodbye's not in out plan. I can't be said, it doesn't fit, we're forever, you and me. Goodbye is such an earthly word, we'll be together forever, you will see.I love you all more than you can ever know
Your Danny

6 comments:

Shannon said...

Thanks for the cry today Brady :) I always cry more in April.

Airmom said...

Oh my gosh...I am such a mess...this month and the next are always my most difficult to emotionally deal with, but in some way even though strange...this gave me a bit of comfort.I miss Danny so very very much. Kenny Chesney has a song that says so much about how I always wonder about Danny.What would he have accomplished who would he have married...what his children would look like.etc. My heart is torn and the pain is ever present, even with the time that has passed. I still find men that look like Danny and follow with my eyes until they are out of sight....wondering.

Brady Fletcher Garrick said...

I am sorry if this poem has bothered some of you. I wasn't trying to do that. I just thought it was worth sharing. Sorry, Mom and Shannon. Do you want me to take it down?

tim said...

I thought it was amazingly appropriate. Sound like very similar stories.

Shannon said...

I loved it as well - didn't bother me at all! I just meant that it made me cry cause it did fit so well. I am glad you posted it :)

Airmom said...

Brady...it was and is perfect...I pretended it WAS from Danny when I read it and it gave me comfort...I think he would have said all of that....and in a way ..maybe is a message from him...maybe he had a hand in you finding it and putting it on. Leave it....we need it for this month and forever. Thanks for being so sensitive.